Ten Best Loved Posts of 2013
They say the stats don’t lie. You clicked, I listened. Below are the ten best loved posts according to readers in 2013. If you are new to my site and a little overwhelmed, this is perfect place to start to see what ThoughtsfromtheMiddleSeat is all about!
Also, apparently posts on happiness, past lovers, stripping, dating, clubbing, nerds, pandas, moving countries, self destructive tendencies and sex are popular. Hmm, I sense both a theme and an amalgamation coming on.
Without further ado….
10. Happiness as a Sine Curve: Quantifying the Qualitative Life – Quantifying happiness with adorable graphs. The diminishing returns of kisses.
9. On Welcoming a New Lover While Acknowledging the Old – My impressions of ex-lovers, and a mantra of how to let a new partner into your life.
8. And Audrey Was Her Stripper Name-O – An interview and thoughts of a Washington DC stripper from Camelot. She likes her work. Part 2 of the sex work series.
7. And You Think Dating For You Is Hard: Male Adult Initiation Rituals in South Africa – Circumcision and coming of age practices in Xhosa culture in South Africa.
6. A Tirade Against Clubbing – Why I hate clubbing; a humorous account of a night on the town.
5. The 10 Best Things I Have Learned in Life Because I Am a Nerd – Being nerdy is one of the best things that ever happened to me.
4. Why I Hate Pandas: A Tirade against the Adorable and Fluffy – A completely silly tirade about how pandas are stupid and should die. In the rain.
3. An American in Amman: In Which I (Somewhat) Successfully Move to Jordan – My first impressions of Amman, Jordan, and the trials and tribulations of moving to a Middle Eastern country. (And why you should never use FlyDubai as your airline!)
2. Explaining Thanatos (The Death Drive) – Explaining how everyone has a little bit of death instinct in them, and a survey of 20-somethings on their interpretations of their own dark urges.
And the number one favorite post of 2013 is:
1. The Prostitutes of the Red Light District: Amsterdam My impressions of the red light district in Amsterdam, and of my own complicity in viewing the prostitutes. Part 3 of the sex work series.
Happy reading and thank you for continuing to support and read my thoughts. It means more to me than you know. And, of course, happy New Year and 2014!